Good article. Surprising to see this from WSJ. It discusses all the current issues in mobile advertising and the state of play.
- Mobile is different from desktop. You can’t use the same old Web ad formats on the smartphone
- The list of reasons why businesses aren’t using mobile is long and diverse: accidental clicks, difficulties buying ads in quantity, and unclear metrics
- Search is pretty big on mobile
- Innovative approaches on mobile include experimenting with messages they want consumers to believe are fun, pay rewards or help them find useful information
- Another lever that’s getting a lot of experimentation is ad size. As smartphone screens get larger, companies have found some success with ads such as “takeovers” that briefly fill all or most of a device’s screen.
- There’s also just the typical spray and pray approach, similar to how it’s done on desktops.